Hello, LJ people.
Yes, I’ve been away. Well, not exactly. I’ve been reading, just not posting. And it’s not because I haven’t had much to say. Okay, sometimes that was the case. But often, I was just too tired to sit here and write an entry.
But I am here now, so sit back and brace yourselves. It might be a long one!
Here are the things I’ve done since I last posted:
– Took my laptop to Best Buy again because the power adapter thingy was overheating and melting the cord. I mean, it was getting uncomfortably hot. It will scald you. Was told that there was liquid damage to the motherboard and they wouldn’t fix it unless I paid them more than $1200. I told them to leave the computer as is. I’ll just not touch the damn AC adapter part. It’s at Best Buy now, waiting for me to pick it up. I’ll go get it tomorrow. Seriously, who’d pay $1200 to repair a two-year old laptop when one can buy TWO NEW ones for that price?
One of these days, I’m going to get a Mac.
– I’ve subscribed to a bunch of feeds; The Bargainist, WiseBread, zen habits, The Happiness Project. I call the folder they’re in “Lifestyle” The Bargainist has lists and lists of deals, free samples, coupon codes. It’s neat. Wisebread is a money-management blog. The other two are just for me to become more at peace and happier. Good stuff, those. I have a ton of feeds on my Google Reader, actually. It’s such a convenient way to get loads of info in one place.
– Downloaded the new version of Flock. Got irritated because the pages with feeds and searches on them kept bringing up this little bar that asked me if I wanted to subscribe to them. I finally went into configurations and turned them off. Now I like Flock again. Except I can’t figure out how to turn off the media stream notification. Ugh.
– Had my one-year evaluation at work. It went really well. The copy editors are all going to start taking classes for Copy Editing certification. We wanted to start this month, but we’re waitlisted. We’ll see what happens. At any rate, work has been really good lately. The new lead copy editor is very cool. I won’t have page proofs coming in until October (sigh), so I’m doing a lot of pick up work for marketing and leftover stuff for everyone else. Plus errata. Always errata. Boo to errata. But yay to the style guide coming together!
– Became ADDICTED to enchiladas from El Vaquero. Seriously, they are SOOOOO good. I had some yesterday for lunch. Yummy.
– Started listening to the following bands a lot: Lacuna Coil, Grateful Dead, and The Crüxshadows. I also decided that I love the song Breakin’ Dishes by Rihanna. And If Tha Mood by Esthero. More songs, too.
– Went to Atlanta to meet adamselzer‘s parents and also for Dragon*Con!
Me & Adam (this pic is also on his LJ)
Me & Voltaire. He really isn’t that short. He scrunched all the way down just for this picture. Heehee.
The Phelps Twins. Anyone know what movies they’re from?
Me talking to the Phelps twins. Lovely boys, really.
Me talking to Matthew Lewis. Can anyone guess which movies he’s been in? Hint, they’re the same ones as the Phelps twins.
I’d wanted to get actual pictures with the guys, but they were charging for Photo Ops. $40 for the twins, $35 for Matthew. Autographs weren’t that cheap either. Saying “hi” to them was free, though.
I went to their Friday night panel. Lots of girls screaming. I was one of them, I admit. The boys were definitely boys, spilling water on themselves (it was rigged was the explanation), answering fun questions, just having a good time. They really are all lovely guys.
Dragon*Con is a very interesting convention. My friend Jen calls it a nerd fest, and Cas calls it a dork fest. A TON of people dress up in costume. Here are a few of the ones I really liked and was able to get close enough to photograph and then pix turned out well enough for me to post (heehee):
Storm Trooper Elvis
Me and Stacey (adalanth). She totally recognized me from my LJ. Heehee.
Adam sang during the Mr. Star Wars pageant and brought the house down. He got two standing ovations. I guess performers really get into this other world, because later he asked me “do you think they liked me?” I laughed at that. I mean, standing ovations are usually indicators that you did well.
I don’t know too much about Star Wars. I know, a SHAME, right? Still, I had a great time watching Mr. Star Wars.
In between visiting the Con, I also spent time with Adam and with Adam’s family in Snellville. Cas got ahold of my camera and snapped an amusing picture:
OF HERSELF! She was very
We also went swimming.
Okay, Adam, his parents, Cas, and Marcel (Cas’s boyfriend) swam. I sat on the edge. I don’t know how to swim, you see. I do know how to dry people off, though.
In between all that, we watched Avenue Q and Scrubs: The Musical, Adam and I went and saw Hairspray, we listened to lots of ’40s music on the XM radio, ate yummy food (mmmm for Granda Bell’s baked beans and spinach casserole), and went on a quest for Crocs for Adam, which he eventually sold to his father because they were too uncomfortable. Bwah.
It’s autumn!!! Well, not officially, but it’s coming! I can’t believe it. July took FOREVER to end, and August was over in a blink, and now we’re cruising into September! Pretty soon it’ll be Halloween and man, once that passes, the holidays will be here.
I’ve been tagged by tamirabeth for a survey, so here goes:
01. I’ve come to realize that my ex is: a good friend.
02. I am listening to: ’40s music.
03. I talk: about bananas.
04. I love: cuddling and reading.
05. I have: to make dinner.
07. I lost: my OSU degree.
08. I hate it when: leisure time goes too quickly.
09. Love is: amazing.
10. Marriage: even more amazing.
12. I’ll always be: me.
13. I have a crush on: Adam.
14. The last time I cried was: Tuesday afternoon.
15. My cell phone is: pink.
16. When I wake up in the morning: I hit snooze a few times.
17. Before I go to sleep at night: I read.
18. Right now I am thinking about: **it’s a secret**
19. Babies are: adorable!
20. I get on MySpace: rarely.
21. Today I: worked, played on the computer.
22. Tonight I will: read and sleep. and watch Big Brother.
23. Tomorrow I will: work, get my computer from Best Buy, and play on the computer.
24. I really want: **it’s a secret for now**
25. The people I want to tag with this are: no one.
#6 and 11 are missing. LOL.
Here’s another one:
First Name and middle initial?
What holiday is your birthday closest to?
Does it bother you when someone says they’ll call you and they don’t?
Are you allergic to anything?
Is there someone/something you want?
I’m pretty satisfied, but I know more happiness is coming and it’s a bit challenging to wait patiently for it.
How many U.S states have you been to?
Hmmm. Let me think. Okay, for now I’m coming up with 12, not counting states I’ve gone through.
How many states have you lived in?
Have you ever lived outside the U.S?
What’s your favorite kind of drink?
Does anyone NOT like you?
Do you have any strange pets?
No. Lucy is pretty normal.
What is your dream car?
What’d you do yesterday?
Work, came home, checked email, slept a lot.
Are you bipolar?
Do you and your ex have a good relationship?
Where would you want to go on a date?
Food must be involved. That’s all I’m saying.
When was the last time you were kissed?
Has anyone ever sang or played for you personally?
Ever been kissed under fireworks?
What was the last text message you received:
A smiley face.
Have you ever bungee jumped?
Have you ever kayaked?
Has anyone ten years older than you ever hit on you?
Have you ever made out at the drive-in?
What sound are you listening to right now?
’40s music, my typing, the fan.
What’s your favorite song at the moment?
No fave at the moment. Liking lots of stuff, though.
What was the last movie you watched?
Have you ever seriously vandalized someone else’s property?
Have you ever been punched?
What’s the first thing you notice about the same sex?
Hair and face.
Do you have a nickname?
What do you usually order from Olive Garden?
Spaghetti, I think. Maybe angel hair.
Say something totally random about yourself?
I like to read Dear Abby.
Do you have an iPod?
Has anyone ever said you looked like a celebrity?
Do you have freckles?
I think so…?
Are you comfortable with your height?
Do you love someone right now?
If you could get anything pierced what would that be?
Not sure. I’d rather have a tattoo than a piercing.
Do you speak any other language other than English??
Have you ever ridden in a limo?
Has anyone you were really close to passed away?
Not really, really close, no. But people I’ve loved a lot have passed away.
Do you watch MTV?
What is the last thing that made you cry?
Saying goodbye to Adam at the airport.
What’s something that really annoys you?
Rude people. Crowds.
Do you think Paris deserved jail time?
Do you have a celebrity crush?
Not so much anymore.
Do you have a pet?
What is behind you?
My suitcase. Still packed. Oops.
Do you drive when you go on long trips?
What’s the latest you have ever stayed out?
Probably 4am or so.
Have you ever thought that you were honestly going to die?
Were you ever rushed by an ambulance into the emergency room?
Who do you live with?
What color is your hair?
What color are your eyes?
Do you believe in love?
One minor rant:
There is this psycho nut down the hall who keeps slamming his/her door. I mean, this person starts about 4:30pm and keeps going all evening, ’til about 10pm. Slam. Slam. Slam. Slam. Slam. The lady across the hall, who is out of her mind as well, gets in on it and starts yelling “STOP THAT DAMN NOISE” then she gets in the hall, then she starts slamming HER door. And do you think the rental office does anything about it? No, they do not. It’s really annoying. Fortunately, my bedroom is in the back of the apt, so when I go to bed I don’t really hear it. Still, UGH. What is wrong with people?
If people in the south disapproved of Adam and me, most of them were decent enough not to show it. It was a few teenagers who were the problem. Two girls in particular who made sure to say very loudly, while looking our way and snickering, “I could never be with a white man!” My thoughts were: Well, no one asked you to. Sheesh. People are entitled to their opinions and tastes and preferences, but DON’T YOU DARE try to shame me because of who I love.
After all, a mixed union produced this beautiful, amazing, perfect child:
And what is up with men flirting with me when I am standing right there with Adam?? WTF is wrong with people??
Right then. Time for me to eat, I’m hungry. ‘Til next time!