This post is based on the book of the same title by Lionna King, and the website http://www.iamneurotic.com. Basically, just about everyone has something about them that may be weird or unconventional. This site and book helps us show that we’re not so alone.
Here are my neurosis.
1. I am funny about numbers. I like things to end on 0s or 5s. For example, if I am in the middle of a project but need to break, I will want to stop the project at 3:55 rather than 3:54 or 3:56. When I am playing FarmVille, I won’t end unless my XP points end with a 5 or 0. (This is how I know FV screws with my points when I log in again.) I like dates that end with 5, 10, 15, 20. Fortunately, my birthday is the 20th, Christmas is the 25th, and Aidan’s birthday is 30th. When I am at a restaurant where I need to tip, I try to make the tip and actual cost add up to something that ends in a 5 or a 0. I even try to post all my blog entries at a time that ends with a 0 or a 5. It doesn’t always work. 0s and 5s are nice, round numbers. And neat. 2010 is AWESOME because it’s a DOUBLE neat number.
2. Speaking of numbers, I hate the number 11. Unless it’s 11:11, when I can make a wish. Imagine how I will feel next year, when it’s 11/11/11 at 11:11? ACK. Either I’ll be making a HUGE wish or freaking out.
3. After all of this, my favorite number is 19. I love the way the 9 looks, all round and cute. I didn’t mind 2009 because of the cute 9 at the end of the year. So, I guess I like 9 as well, but I like it better when it’s part of 19. Makes no sense, I know, but there you go.
4. Months have colors for me. January is grey. February is red. March is green. April is blue. December is hunter green. November is brown.
5. When I eat candy with different colored wrappers (this is especially evident around the holidays), I feel unbalanced until I eat a piece wrapped in each color. For example, Reese’s Cups have green, gold, and red wrapped pieces. I have to each one of each. And if I eat an extra green, I have to eat an extra red and an extra gold.
6. I don’t like to get out of the car in the middle of a song. Nor do I like to stop my iPod for any reason in the middle of a song. It’s just not right. I feel like I’ve been left hanging.
7. If I am up for a job I really want, I don’t want ANYONE to know about it. That way, if I don’t get it, I don’t have to feel embarrassed.
What are your neurosis?
Edited to add: Someone on Facebook pointed out that this list ends with a 7 instead of a 5, which goes against my neurosis. Believe me, it’s bothering me, almost to the point I want to delete the last two……
(Originally published at Anywhere Is…)