I think it’s time, after nearly ten years, to get rid of AOL.
Here are the reasons I’m unhappy with them now:
1. They’ve started putting ads in the ACTUAL email message window.
2. The emails will not load unless the ads load first. The ads only work about 30-40% of the time. This includes the emails in the filing cabinet as well.
3. Graphics are always broken.
4. The software infiltrades machines like a slime mold. Getting into all the cracks and crevices, making it about impossible to uninstall.
5. I can get through about three emails before I have to reboot AOL again. And again. And again.
6. The browser never works anymore, either.
I’m about fed up with it. I PAY for the damn service, I sure as hell don’t want to see ads in my messages, and furthermore, I don’t appreciate my emails not loading because the damn ads aren’t loading. That’s BULLSHIT.
And I’m pretty sure AOL is the one selling my email address to the spammers, then trying to get me to buy their premium software. Just what I need, more stuff to clog up my already fragile computer.
Took me forever to get rid of the AOL Safety & Security Center. I mean, I already have McAfee. Don’t need two programs running.
So yes, I think it’s time to bid adieu to AOL. Maybe hold on to it for a bit, have an auto-responder giving out my new email address (I’m thinking my gmail account, although I’m kind of wary about storing everything on a server… WAIT, I can have gmail do POP. DUH.), and then I’ll cancel it. Because they are doing their customers WRONG.
Okay, I’m really not pissy, but I did have to rant about that.
ETA: Hmm. A lot of the problems seem to have been solved by getting rid of that pissy IE 7 and going back to 6. Apparently, AOL doesn’t like IE 7 and to be honest, neither do I. Okay, bedtime for real. Byeee!