– that I have the bravery to speak up if/when I see injustice, and if/when it happens to me
– that I don’t become complacent
– that I stay vigilant, awake, and strong
– that I survive
– that my friends survive
– that right and good prevail
I know. I just keep making posts about me. But it is my blog, after all, so I think that’s OK.
I stole this list of prompts from one of my favorite people/authors Jennifer Niven (peep her “about” page to see her answers) because it looked super fun, and also challenging. I’m going to have to think about most of these answers.
So please bear with me. Enjoy this post, and I PROMISE I’ll write a real update soon. And I know I owe you some Disney pictures as well.
– Marian Keyes
– Sarah Dessen
– Erma Bombeck
… just to name a few
Favorite literary heroine:
Right now, I’m rereading WATERMELON by Marian Keyes, and it’s a toss up between Claire, Anna, or Helen (3 of the Walsh sisters).
– I always enjoy a good love story, especially if it’s funny but not full of unnecessary angst and drama. I really like rich, hot white boy stories, especially if he gets the girl who is either on a lower economic scale or of a different race, or both. And I like far-fetched yet sweet ones, like the movie THE PRINCE AND ME. And of course, I adore good old-fashioned romantic comedy, like HITCH, THE WEDDING PLANNER and books like ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins and THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US by Kasie West.
– OK, this is going to seem really sick. But I love reading books about teens locked in institutions. Especially if it’s against their will and really awful and they have to be super daring/clever/brave to get out. Like April Henry’s SHOCK POINT.
– Dance, dance, dance! (OMG DANCE ACADEMY!)
Favorite love story:
Well, I listed a bunch in the previous question, so check there.
*insert diatribe about the need for #ownvoices and more diverse literature here*
Detective Walter Clark Jr. from the (sadly cancelled) show Golden Boy
This is him:
Don’t EVEN act surprised about this.
Fictional best friend:
Regina Mills from Once Upon a Time
If I could be another writer for a day:
Well, this depends on several factors! I can think of many author’s success I’d like to have, or at least my own version of it.
If I weren’t a writer, I would be:
My DayJob™ and freelance gigs are various copy editing, proofreading, and editorial gigs. So probably still that.
Things I keep on my writing desk:
My writing desk is technically my lap. I have a pretty fancy lap desk that my friend Andy got me for Christmas a couple of years ago. But also the coffee table in the living room, or my bed. But for the sake of this, I’m going to create my DREAM writing desk:
– at least one mug full of pens and pencils
– a 6 pack of Vitamin Water
– candy, candy, candy
– my glasses
– incense and sage, burner, lighter
– notebooks and notepads
– my Lumiere lamp and Lumiere Funko figure
– my two Funko Regina Mills figures
– I can cry on command.
– I can wiggle my ears.
– I can put my foot on my face like Maddie in the Big Girls Cry video.
Right up this bookworm’s alley.
1. How long did it take you to finish your last book?
The last book I read was It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover, and it took me a few days. Usually, I can read a book in 1 or 2 days, but because I’ve been so busy with work, it’s been taking me upwards of a week or two to finish books these days.
2. How many times do you stare at your bookshelves each day?
At least once. How could I not, though. Look at them:
3. How many Goodreads friends/books do you have?
I have more than 1000 books, 544 friends. Wanna be one? Add me here: https://www.goodreads.com/lilrongal
4. Do you ever quote books in public?
I’m sure I do.
5. Do you ever re-read books?
Absolutely. Especially Harry Potter, A Christmas Carol, and Sarah Dessen novels.
6. Do you judge a book by its cover?
I do. Sorry.
7. Do you take pictures of your books before you read them?
Every once in a while.
8. What are your biggest distractions from reading?
Work. My own writing. Playing internet and computer games.
9. Where is your favorite place to buy books?
Anderson’s Bookshop and other indie bookshops.
10. Do you always have a book with you?
Yes. Either physical, or on my phone or tablet. I have loads in the kindle app.
11. Do you read during breakfast?
I don’t really eat breakfast.
12. How many hours a day would you say you read?
Normally? At least one or two. But lately, it’s been 15 minutes a day because work’s been so busy, or I’ve been working on my own book. Looking forward to getting my reading time back.
13. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
Less. But I will fix that.
14. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
Yes. I can read very fast, which is good with my profession!
15. Do you read in bed?
Every single night.
16. How old were you when you got your first library card?
Oh wow, I think 11 or so. My father used to drop my sister and me off at the library and I loved it. I’d read there and still come home with a huge stack of books.
You guys. YOU GUYS. I survived! I’m up for air. I made it.
This latest contract had me working many hours, reading hundreds of pages a day. And this was in addition to the DayJob™, sneaking in writing revisions, events, visits from family and friends, meet-ups, appointments, and errands.
I am POOPED.
I’m exhausted and sick; coming down with my first cold in maybe a year or so?
But also proud. Because I did that, they are very happy with my work, and my relationship with is client is awesome. I survived the madness and I am so excited. (I am also hopped up on cough medicine with codeine in it at the moment so if this entry seems a bit goofy, that’s why.)
So far, this month (and part of September as well—because that’s when all this stuff started), I:
01. Attended a #ChiYA meet-up. It’s a group of Chicago authors of YA, and we’re going to do all sorts of cool things. *sings* Just you wait….
02. Finished this massive contract—maybe thousands of pages. Sent the invoice yesterday, so now I wait. And then save/pay off credit card/Christmas shop/buy something special for me.
03. Started *two* new contracts! One with a new company called Envision—they seem really nice. I’m excited about the work I’ll be doing for them. And another project for Berlitz. This one’s scope is WAY less intense.
04. Had many important doctor’s appointments (including my very first mammogram!).
05. Been keeping up with my medicine and my therapy, including the homework assignments she assigns. I really like my therapist.
06. Attended Anderson’s YA Literature Conference and YA Fan Frenzy. Got to hang with lovely author friends and make new author friends, and came away feeling loved and inspired and exhausted.
07. Stayed on the fancy floor in the hotel during the conference. They brought us cookies every night. I could get used to this—it’s part of the reason I work so hard.
08. Got the CUTEST Kate Spade Minnie Mouse bag.
10. Got to see Rena *twice*. She’s my bestie, I should be seeing her more often. We’re both so swamped with work. Thank God for Google Hangouts. We talk almost every day on there.
11. Hosted my friend Sun, who I’ve known online forEVER. It was so fun hanging with her, relaxing with her, and having her in my home. She brought a nice energy.
12. Spent time with Aidan, who was here from 10/12–10/17. Never enough time, but it was fun. We ate junk food, watched raunchy stand up comedy, and laughed a lot.
13. Shopped, donated, supported people I care about, and some strangers I barely know.
14. Attended the Sia concert. Loved her show very much. Lots of dancing and artsy stuff. Very enjoyable!
15. Started Christmas shopping! 😮🎄
Now I’m back to revisions. Goal is to have them done Halloween! I want to start a new project for #NaNoWriMo, so I have to have my current one in a very good place before then. I’m very excited for the possibilities for both. I want to be really bold with this new project. Unapologetic, but still sweet. So eager to get started. We’ll see if I still feel the same once I’ve started, though.
But this weekend, aside from some tinkering with the novel, I SLEEP ALL THE SLEEPS. READ ALL THE BOOKS. And maybe call my mommy if my throat settles down.
Next week, I have to fix my car, get it tested, and then register it for another year. Just bought one of those portable battery chargers–hope that gets her running again. I’d love to have the freedom to drive so I can get a massage from Jan and also Christmas shop!
So, up next for the next 4–6 weeks:
01. Whatever deliverables for the two new contracts.
02. Plan Christmas shopping.
03. Get car squared away.
04. More doctor’s appointments.
06. Schedule and partake in a spa day.
07. Keep taking meds properly and going to therapy.
08. Prep for Thanksgiving! OMG.
09. More Christmas shopping.
10. Read read read. So behind on reading, my TBR pile is obscene.
I’m sure there is more, but I’m ready to relax now.
Wow. It feels very strange not having a big deadline looming over me. My next freelance deliverable isn’t due until EOD Monday, and it’s not a huge thing. Which means an entire weekend free. I’d forgotten what that felt like.
But I’m sure it’ll come back to me. Easily. 😂
Sunday Stealing: Wish List Meme
1.) What are 3 things on your wish list and why?
– a big house—I have a LOT of stuff and would like room to put it all. Also, a basement to lock the cats at night
– a publishing contract—I want my stories out there and reaching those who need them
– a successful career as an author—Writing is where I feel home and to make money doing that would be amazing
2.) Do you miss your childhood?
not really, no
3.) What do you do on your spare time on the weekends?
lately, it’s been working, but when I’m not working, I’m reading, napping, or watching Netflix.
4.) What do you appreciate most in your life?
being able to provide for myself and my family and have leftover money and time for fun.
5.) Would you rather be rich or healthy?
oh so unfair. why can’t I have both? rich = health, the way our medical system is set up anyway.
6.) If you could go back in time would you and why?
I am not white.
7.) Favorite game as a child?
none really. unless you counted playing school or library.
8.) What is your dream career?
New York Times best-selling author
9.) What do you do in your free time?
– watch Netflix
– buy stuff online
– surf twitter
– play Township or Fishdom or whatever silly game I’m fancying at the time
10.) Favorite clothing stores?
– Old Navy
– Free People
11.) What TV shows can’t you live without?
I can live without most of them, but I love Once Upon a Time, and I just started watching Jane the Virgin on Netflix. It’s really fun!
12.) 3 things you need in your life are:
13.) What can’t you sleep without?
– my teddy bear Pandernoodle
– also earplugs and an eye mask
14.) Who do you have a celebrity crush on?
15.) What is your favorite season and why?
fall, but only before it gets cold. I love the big, blue sky, the changing leaves, apple everything
16.) What is your favorite wild animal?
giraffe or panda bear
17.) Name 3 of your favorite childhood shows:
– Punky Brewster
– Mr. Rogers Neighborhood
– The Cosby Show
18.) If you could live as a character in a movie who would it be?
Cher from Clueless
19.) Favorite vegetables?
spinach and green beans, asparagus too
20.) Favorite fruit?
peaches, rainier cherries
21.) If you had a dragon what would you name it?
22.) What do you put on hot dogs?
ketchup and mustard, sometimes cheese
note: this answer means I fail at Chicago
23.) Do you play online games?
24.) Whats your favorite way to get inspired?
music, talking to other authors, good books, movies and TV
25.) Do you have a middle name?
26.) Favorite kids name?
27.) Do you speak any other languages?
28.) Do you use Twitter?
29.) Do you go onto YouTube?
sometimes. I like to watch the “100 years of” and taste test videos
30.) Do you play Angry Birds?
31.) Do you like Angry Birds?
32.) Do you like Hello Kitty?
33.) Have you ever cried because you were so happy?
34.) Who would you like to see in concert?
hmmm. going to see Sia tonight.
35.) Can you swim well?
36.) Ever won a contest?
37.) Ever won a giveaway?
38.) Do you get a full 8 hours of sleep every night?
39.) What tea do you like?
earl grey, or herbal, fruity kind
40.) What coffee do you like?
white chocolate raspberry mocha from Starbucks
41.) Do you shop at Walmart?
only to buy BBQ Fritos online
42.) Do you shop at Target?
43.) What do you order at Second Cup?
I’ve never heard of this
44.) – missing
45.) Do you like homemade meals?
46.) Do you like homemade baked goods?
47.) Do you shop online?
48.) Name 3 stores online stores you
would like to shop at:
– Planner Chick Designs
49.) What holiday don’t you like?
50.) What do you eat more of when you’re sick?
depends on the sickness. but usually fried, greasy foods. unless it’s a stomach bug. then I don’t eat much of anything. if I’m catching a cold, I eat hot chicken noodle soup.